What are CTFs?
CTFs are competitions in which participants tackle a variety of computer-security puzzles designed to represent real-world hacking scenarios. Challenges fall into a variety of categories:
- Web: discover and exploit vulnerabilities in websites using techniques such as SQL injection and cross-site scripting
- Network traffic: analyse recorded packet traffic to extract hidden data
- Forensics: examine unknown files and systems to identify and extract concealed information
- Cryptography: solve cryptographic puzzles and fix broken cryptosystems
- Binary: drill down into the inner workings of software to discover and exploit vulnerabilities in it
- Miscellaneous: tackle a variety of security brainteasers and puzzles